Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 01:35:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
Cc:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: analog and Apache?

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

> Uh, you may not want to do this.

Or you might ;)

Our number one concern was that if someone is paying us for quality
hosting, we wish to do anything we can within our budget to make sure that
some other ISP's customers get reasonable access to the site.  The lag we
saw coming in from an unnamed IP was *very* noticeable, and looked to the
person trying to view the page like a problem on our side.  Turning off
lookups was like night and day...

> I found that after 4 weeks of running IP logging and using the results from
> 3 servers that 5 hours to run reports vs 5 minutes was just a bit too much.

We nice it down in the script.  If a customer wants "instant" hit counts,
we set it to look at one week's worth of logs with DNS resolving turned
off, and the results come up within seconds.  We've found most marketing
types are happy enough with numbers for short term trends, and they look
at the weekly totals with DNS for the "big picture".

> There is another problem with this as well.  If a site has a very large
> logfile, 10 Mb, 100 Mb, or more even, Analog will start using a lot of
> memory.  Once the server starts swapping it takes a bit of a performance
> hit.  Not to mention that it was thrashing our name servers.

Hmmm...  Haven't seen this here, even on 200M files as long as the server
is not overloaded.  We set resolv.conf on the webservers to look at one of
our little-used secondaries, so the deluge of DNS requests will not affect
our two main nameservers.  I haven't really seen this touch the load on
the nameserver, though.  Also, analog sets up a cache, so you'll see over
a period of time the logs take less time to crunch.  The current analog is
very efficient, and other than a mind-spinning array of command line
switches, it's fairly easy to tweak to your liking...

Charles