Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:32:00 +0200
From:      Peter Dambier <peter@peter-dambier.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No DHCP server found (stable/12 & stable/13)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:43:15 -0700
Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:13 AM David Wolfskill
> <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
>
> > (This may also apply to head; I haven't tested it recently, and
> > testing is a little awkward for me just now. -- dhw)
> >
> > As I type, I am 9 time zones east of home.  The laptop I am using is
> > running:
> >
> > FreeBSD localhost 13.1-STABLE FreeBSD 13.1-STABLE #468
> > stable/13-n250522-48a5e3fc6568: Wed Apr 20 05:25:39 PDT 2022
> >  root@g1-48.catwhisker.org:/common/S3/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/CANA=
RY
> > amd64 1301501 1301501
> >
> > I have seen an apparently-similar set of symptoms on a different
> > laptop (that I use for the bulk of my day-to-day activities when I
> > am not wandering about (e.g., in different time zones)); it was
> > running:
> >
> > FreeBSD 12.3-STABLE #1236 stable/12-n235174-879a6b7b628: Tue Apr 19
> > 03:32:12 PDT 2022
> > root@g1-70.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/CANAR=
> > amd64 1203507 1203507
> >
> > when I last observed the issue.
> >
> > In each case, I have no problems associating (if using wireless) and
> > acquiring a DHCP lease at home (where the DHCP server is
> > net/isc-dhcp44-server (isc-dhcp44-server-4.4.2P1_1), currently
> > running:
> >
> > FreeBSD 12.3-STABLE #59 stable/12-n235169-6def5bc64cb: Fri Apr 15
> > 03:31:41 PDT 2022
> > root@freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/A=
LBERT
> > amd64 1203507 1203507
> >
> > ), nor do I see the problem if I have either laptop associate to my
> > phone's "hotspot".
> >
> > But at the hotel where I am no, as well as on the commuter shuttle
> > bus at work, and a hotel in Los Angeles back in March, I found that
> > dhclient on the laptop would issue DHCPDISCOVER (repeatedly)... and
> > utterly fail to recognize any response from a DHCP server.
> >
> > In searching for solutions, I found a thread, " dhclient does not
> > decode 802.1q-encapsulated replies #114 " at
> > https://github.com/opnsense/src/issues/114 - I have no idea if it's
> > related to what I am seeing.  (While I don't use OPNSense, I do use
> > ipfw (and have, since around 1999).  I am not at all familiar with
> > VLANs -- I don't use them in my networks.)
> >
> > I do use an /etc/dhclient.conf; here are the non-comment lines:
> >
> > | send host-name "";
> > |
> > | request ntp-servers, smtp-server, routers, domain-name-servers,
> > domain-search, domain-name, subnet-mask, broadcast-address;
> >
> > though the mtime on that file shows Aug 15 04:40:08 2018 (at which
> > point I know the shuttle bus DHCP was working for me).
> >
> > As you may be able to discern, while I do have connectivity enough
> > to send/receive email, my opportunities for checking and testing
> > are likely to be quite limited -- more so in a couple of days, once
> > the cycling tour actually gets under way.
> >
> > Peace,
> > david
> > --
> > David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
> > V. Putin does not need "negotiations" to stop his own senseless war.
> >
> > See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public
> > key.
>
> For the past year (maybe longer as I did not travel during the
> pandemic) I have been unable to get an address assignment at any
> Marriott family hotel. This will get worse as I will be in Hawaii for
> two weeks next month. I talked to tech support, in one case to a
> Linux user, and they were baffled. I'd love to get this resolved.
>
> I have done traffic capture and see my DISCOVER packets going out,
> but no responses.
>
> I have no issues with getting an address assignment elsewhere, so it
> looks like it is probably tied to hardware or implementation by
> whatever company Marriott is using.

Maybe related - maybe ot.

I am running a public and not encrypted WLAN "freifunk.net". An ancient
linux router box will not automatically ask for a new lease. I have to
reconnect manually. Slackware 15.0 will not connect at all. I remember
Slackware 14.2 (6 years old) did connect

I have no problem connecting to two "normal" encrypted WLAN routers and
the router box does automatically renew its lease and get a new local
ipaddress.

I cannot test with FreeBSD because my WLAN adapter is not supported.

My guess something in WLAN changed and not only FreeBSD sees this
problem.

Cheers Peter