Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 07:56:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@coresync.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Difference between FreeBSD 3.5.1 and FreeBSD 3.5.0?

Jonathan M. Slivko writes:
> Can someone please tell me approximately what the differences are
> between FreeBSD 3.5.1 and FreeBSD 3.5.0 are? I upgraded my machine which
> was running FreeBSD 3.5.1-RELEASE with the 3.5.0 CVSup. and now my uname
> - -a is showing this:
> FreeBSD trinity.tech-newz.com 3.5-STABLE FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE #1: Sun Sep
> 10 13:05:53 EDT 2000
> root@trinity.tech-newz.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/TRINITY  i386

To answer the question you asked: 3.5.1 is a 3.5 release that included
a showstopper bug fix. I forget the details. Security does come to
mind.

> I would appreciate an email telling me that there is no security fixes
> or anything else important that I missed by upgrading to the wrong
> branch.. -- Jonathan M. Slivko

To answer the real question: You didn't upgrade to the wrong
branch. 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 are both snapshots of 3.5-STABLE. If you
cvsupped a version after the 3.5.1 release date, then the system
you're running is 3.5.1-RELEASE + fixes, which is presumably what you
want.

> P.S. Where/how do I delete the files that were downloaded? They are
> clogging up my hard drive.

Since what you downloaded was an update to what you had already
installed, deleting them would involve deleting the OS. However, if
you've already built and installed from sources, you can delete
/usr/obj.

	<mike