Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:55:39 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's use of GCC (Was: Bystander shot by a spam filter.)

Brett Glass wrote:
> OpenBSD pretty much avoids the use of GPLed code except in the
> toolchain. I'd like to see them take an even tougher stance,
> and eject the GPL from their code base altogether. But while
> they removed ipfilter over a much smaller licensing issue,
> they have not done the same with GPLed code. Why? One can only
> speculate that it's because GCC is now so dominant that
> other compilers just aren't obtainable... and also because so
> much of the third party software for OpenBSD is dependent
> upon GCC as well. A vicious cycle that needs breaking.

I believe it's because a tools dependency is an indirect
dependency.

By trying to treat it as if it were a direct dependency, you
sabatoge my argument against direct dependencies on GCC-specific
syntax in source files.  Please don't do that.

> It's simple: It's what I call the "Yosemite Sam Principle."
>
> Remember the classic cartoon in which Yosemite Sam attempts to get
> Bugs Bunny to blow himself up by playing a booby-trapped piano?
>
> Sam challenges Bugs to play the "pie-anner," which is rigged to
> explode when a particular key is pressed. Bugs plays the tune from
> the sheet music, but keeps hitting a wrong note and doesn't set
> off the explosive. Finally, the frustrated Sam leaps in front of
> Bugs, yelling, "No, you stupid rabbit! Like this!" and plays the
> tune correctly.
>
> The explosive goes off.
>
> This is one of the secrets of open source: One of the ways to get
> people to do something right for you is to do it wrong yourself
> and let other people's egos intervene. They'll soon do it better
> than you could (though, in the case of GCC, not necessarily as
> well as it could be done).

Do you mind if I steal and republish this (i.e. "can I quote you?")?
I will give you credit for originating it, of course.

-- Terry