Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 2013 00:03:29 +0100
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: c89 broken on head?

------enig2EAKHNPRBSMOOCFBNMNUT

On 2013-03-07 22:36, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> On 2013-03-07 21:22, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>>> Because it's the practical thing to do? Old code/makefiles can't poss=
ibly
>>> be expected to know about compilers of the future, while new code can=
 be
>>> expected to add -std=3Dc11.
>>
>> I am not sure I buy that argument; if it were so, we should default to=

>> K&R C instead, since "old code" (for some arbitrary definition of "old=
")
>> could never have been expected to know about gcc defaulting to gnu89.

My argument was to be practical, i.e. don't change what doesn't have to
change.

> -std=3Dc11 is defintely too new, but maybe c89 is too old.
>=20
> I thought the c89 program actually was mandated by POSIX, no?

Both were part of POSIX. c89 was a strict ISO c89 compiler, while cc was
c89, but could additionally accept "an unspecified dialect of the C
language". http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/cc.html

So, if practicality isn't a good enough argument, maybe POSIX compliance
is?