Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 16:00:35 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>, "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

At 7:18 PM +1000 6/4/99, Greg Black wrote:
>"David E. Cross" writes:
>
>>                 fd=open(argv[1], O_CREAT, 600);
>
> Since this opens the file so that it cannot be written to, not
> to mention the really weird mode it will get if it's created by
> that open(), the rest of the thing doesn't deserve to work.
>
> Generally speaking, it's a good idea to make sure that test code
> is at least decent before starting to puzzle over what it does.

So, are you saying that it is perfectly reasonable that this
less-than-pretty user-written code, running on remote machines,
and requiring absolutely no special privs, will crash FreeBSD
used as an NFS server?

I don't care if the code "works", or SEGV's, or if the user is
logged off for being stupid, but I really do not think it is
acceptable for the *file-server* to crash.  The odd parameters
to open() probably explains why some code-path in the system
is getting confused, but it is still the OS's responsibility
to keep running even when users do odd things.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute