Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 20:04:12 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame relay and ATM support

>I'm looking into the support needed in FreeBNSD to support
>ATM and Frame relay services in a generic manner.
>
>mostly this would suggest a file equivalent to if_ethersubr.c
>but if_framesubr.c or something, that knows how to
>associate DLCI's (or VPI's) with
>addresses, in the same way that ARP does for ethernet,
>with a convenient method for controlling such entries.
>
>ET inc. (hi Dennis) seem to associate a virtual interface
>with each DLCI in their frame realy product, and this actually
>makes some sense, but I rather dislike the idea of intefaces that
>don't really associate with the hardware they are running on,
>and would RATHER do it in such a way that
>ifconfig -a would return:
>

>fr0: flags=c010<NBMA,MULTICAST> mtu 552
>	inet 3.3.3.3 --> 4.4.4.4 netmask 0xff000000
>	inet 3.3.3.3 --> 140.5.5.5 netmask 0xffffff00
>note: that this doesn't work at the moment because
>the addition of the alias wipes out the original if the local address
>is the same..
>
>(BTW NBMA == non broadcast multiple access)
>
>I bring this up because Iwas hired to write a driver for a frame relay
>interface for a proprietary project, and want to make sure that as much of
>what I write can be brought back to FreeBSD as being of general use.

I like the addition of an NBMA type, except why should it be necessary?
It seems that any non-PTP interface with the broadcast flag not set
should be NBMA by default.

As for the other stuff...beware, things are not always as they appear.
Enough said.

Dennis

PS: Please dont hack up the O/S too much before you're really sure that
what  you are doing is what you want to do....its such a nice little O/S :-)

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX