Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:30:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmilekic@unixdaemons.com
Subject:   Re: virtually contig jumbo mbufs (was Re: new zero copy sockets snapshot)

In article <20020705132735.A873@unixdaemons.com>,
Bosko Milekic  <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 09:45:01AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> > The BCM570x chips (bge driver) definitely need a single physically
> > contiguous buffer for each received packet.
>
>   This is totally ridiculous for gigE hardware, IMO.

It's a shame, I agree, though I don't think I'd call it totally
ridiculous.  Support of multiple buffers per packet is practically
essential for transmitting (and the BCM570x chips do support that),
but it's really just a convenience for receiving.

>   Do you know of other cards that can't do scatter gather DMA?

No, but I'm only intimately familiar with two of the drivers.  The
Broadcoms (bge) can gather but cannot scatter, and the Intels (em/gx)
can do both.

John
--
  John Polstra