Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:36:10 -0400
From:      "Ciro Maeitta" <geminidomino@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <picons@mweb.co.za>
Subject:   Re: My emails are being bounced

\> Hi all.

> I know the FreeBSD mail servers do some reverse lookups on incoming mail,
but
> as far as I know my DNS is in order.  My mails are being bounced with:
>
> 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [209.212.102.154]
[snip]

;; ANSWER SECTION:
154.102.212.209.in-addr.arpa.  5D IN PTR  mip-perim-1--jp-ha-1-a.mtnns.net.

Looks like a dialup/dhcp pool host to me. Generally those don't get
accepted, or else anyone with DSL etc, could set up a BSD/Linux box and spam
the whole world. With an address like that, you are most likely under an
ISPs umbrella. If that's the case, you can set thier SMTP server as a "smart
host" in sendmail. Alternatively, and I dont know how much luck you will
have, you can see if they can reverse resolve your IP to your domain. I know
my local DSL provider wont. I've had to do this myself for a problem just
like yours.

HTH
-C