Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:34:28 -0500
From:      "Lee E. Hinman Ph.D." <hinman@networkcs.com>
To:        wonko@entropy.tmok.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Celeron Question

On 06/05, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> i've held the celeron in very low respect, i just don't like what it is (keep
> in mind i'm a long time sun guy so i tend to have a problem with x86 in general)
> and i have noticed that under WinNT/98 it tends to be rather unstable.  for
> example.  we have a couple Celeron based laptops at work, and running both 98
> and NT they would crash constantly.  our internal systems guy put 2000 on these
> laptops and POOF, stable as a rock.  so my question is, obviously some kernel
> tuning was done on 2000 to make it work well with the celeron.  maybe the
> celeron has a hangup or two with certain bits of the current x86 instruction
> set, i don't know, but anyway, back to the question.... what is the current
> status of FreeBSD on the Celeron?  i'd like to throw together some low cost,
> moderately powerful FreeBSD boxes, and the Celeron looks like it would fit
> the bill, as long as it is stable, otherwise i'll look to the Athlon, or worst
> case, K6-II, although a slot2/370 combo motherboard so i can upgrade to full
> strength Pentium IIIs when the time comes is an attractive deal.  (the time
> being after the Pentium VII has been released and the IIIs are dirt cheap)
>
> thanks,
>
> -brian

End included message from Brian Hechinger

I had a Celeron 300A that was overclocked to 450 that was rock solid stable,
up time of over 3 months.  It only went down for OS upgrades and FreeBSD
worked great on it.

Having said that I now have an Athlon 700, and it has been just as stable.
As long as you get a power supply that can feed the Athlon they run great
and I don't think you can find a better price/performance ratio, espicially
with the release of the TBird with should cut the price on the classic
Athlons.

Lee
--
Lee E. Hinman