Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 16:06:58 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rstartd on freefall

On Wed, May 28, 1997 at 09:39:59PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> So rstart is broken by design.  Let me guess.  This has been argued
>> before, and the xfree86 guys won't allow an absolute path to rstartd
>> (via say a flag to rstart).... :|
>
>I don't recall that it was ever discussed.  I've certainly never heard
>of anyone actually using it, at least not until just now. :-)

Right.  When I saw the original message, my first reaction was
"Hey, there IS actually someone using rstart!".  It was missing from
the last few binary dists we (XFree86) produced, and we didn't even
get one complaint about it.  It was missing because it gets installed
in /usr/bin by default.  From 3.3 on, it will be installed in
/usr/X11R6/bin, and the postinst script will give people the option
of installing a link to it in /usr/bin.

My next reaction was why not put /usr/X11R6/bin in the path in your
shell's rc file?

As to providing rstart with a way of running rstartd by its absolute
path, nobody has suggested it before.  If you think that's a good thing
to do, send us a patch implementing it (to XFree86@XFree86.org).

David