Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:02:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Carlo Dapor <carlo@vis.ethz.ch>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk-1.3.1 (alpha)'s libnet.so can't resolve symbol gethostbyname_r

Hi Carlo,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:16:44PM +0200, Carlo Dapor wrote:
> > You are correct, however there is a gethostbyname_r implementation provided
> > as part of the green threads subsystem (for this reason).
> >
> > Did the patches actually apply cleanly for you?  With Sun having changed
> > the distribution it may be that this part of the patch didn't apply
> > correctly.
>
> I downloaded the beta JDK 1.3.1 sources a while ago.  Both patch set 1
> and 2 applied cleanly, calling patch -p0 -E, if that matters.

Ahh, you should be ok then :).

> However, as I posted a few weeks ago, I can not build the 'images' in one
> run.

Well, you need to do 'make all' and then 'make images'.  The images target
(unlike the 1.2.2 release-images) _doesn't_ have a dependency on the all
target, it only tries to bundle things up.

> Here's how I get a succesfull build:
>
>     #1: gmake LINK.c=gcc LINK.cc=g++ HPIS="green" EXTRA_LIBS="-lm" INSANE=yes
>
> This does not get past building java, or what is javac ?
> Cheating a little, by fake-creating invokers.c, as I described in a former
> mail, I get to re-run #1, and I have a first 'green' baby.

I think, as discussed on the list before, the problem with invokers.c is
a problem with Linux emulation.  I don't believe you will have the problem
if you then try the build using the JDK you've built as the bootstrapping
tool.

The LINK.c and LINK.cc stuff is just weird, I've no idea why you need
that :).  The HPIS definition is currently redundant as its set to "green"
by default.  You also shouldn't need the EXTRA_LIBS or INSANE flags, but
if it works for you then thats good :).

>     #2: gmake LINK.c=gcc LINK.cc=g++ HPIS=native EXTRA_LIBS="-lm" INSANE=yes
>
> I really do need to build it with INSANE switched on, as the Makefile do not
> correctly 'pick up' libverify.so/libverify_g.so.  If I want to go w/o
> INSANE switched on, I have to symlink libverify(|_).so to
> lib/i386/classic/libverify(|_g).so !!

Thats weird too :).

> Again, I build on a FreeBSD current with very recently built m4, bison, zip,
> gnumake - am I misssing one ?

No, that should be all you need.  I don't think zip is actually used
anymore to be honest (jar is used instead).  I've no experience with
building on -CURRENT though, so maybe it does require your make flags!

> Also, could we incorporate the 'clean' target I suggested, so one can wipe
> a build in j2sdk1.3.1/make ?  I really do not like to issue 'gmake clobber',
> it is too drastic for my pusposes.

Sorry, I will look at it after integrating the new Sun distribution.

> PS: The problem has disappeared; believe it or not, I ran 'make world' over
>     night, and right now I run Jigsaw for the very first time with jdk 1.3.1,
>     I am a one-big-smiling-from-ear-to-ear guy !!!!!!

That is good :).  I expect it won't run with native threads though as
a gethostbyname_r implementation has only been added for green threads
at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887