Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:15:01 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/162049: The Ports tree lacks a framework to restart services

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:15:00AM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> As crees@ suggested, I'm sending an email to ports@ about this.
>=20
> What really bothers me when I use the FreeBSD Ports tree on one of my
> systems, is that the behaviour of dealing with services is quite
> inconsistent. As mentioned in the PR:
>=20
> - If I upgrade Apache, MySQL or PostgreSQL, it does not restart the
>   service, meaning it won't use the freshly installed daemon. This has
>   potential security issues.
>=20
> - If I upgrade Dovecot, it shuts it down during the upgrade, but won't
>   restart it. This means that I have to watch portmaster to complete and
>   must not forget to restart Dovecot afterwards.
>=20

imho the consistency should be done by removing the autostopping stuff and
auto-upgrading stuff.

we have no way to be sure it will be safe at all as we don't know from which
version of the previous software it has been upgraded, I can't imagine how =
much
data corruption it would lead to.

restarting the services is the goal of the system administrator it shouldn't
been automated at all.

I would hate that freebsd-update automatically reboot my box because it upg=
raded
the kernel, the same way I don't want packages to restart my services, it c=
an
leads to more problem that it can solve.

Administrators should know what they do, the only thing that maybe can be d=
one
is a recommandation to tell the upgrader that he should restart some servic=
es.

My 2cts,
Bapt

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl