Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:46:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Subject:   Re: comments on this change please.

As Julian Elischer wrote:

> I have added some code to syslogd to help compatibilty
> by having it TRY make a symlink for /dev/log to /var/run/syslog.socket

/var/run/log.  POLA.  (There's precedent with /var/run/printer, and
we should convince the XFree86 folks of /var/run/X11, too.)

> for those people who want BSDI  (or linux?) or older freeBSD
> binaries to work. In teh case of a read-only root fs, One would hope
> that whoever set it up would have made the symlink first.

Do also modify the remaining Makefiles etc. to make sure the symlink
will be in place on any new system.

Do symlink handling in devfs first.

> + #if defined _OLD_PATH_LOG
> + int		alt_fifo;
> + const char	*OldLogName = _OLD_PATH_LOG;
> + #endif

I'm against bloating it with the `OLD_' cruft.  Either change
completely, or keep it as it is.

--
cheers, J"org