Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:45:13 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Hentschel?= <nerv@dawncrow.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wine-fbsd64 updated to 1.3.36 (32bit Wine for 64bit FreeBSD)

worth a try :)
(be free to report bugs about not working on freebsd to wine as enhancement)

>> > Is that because wow64 is unstable in wine64?
>> >
>> > Wow64's reason for existence is to run 32-bit Windows binaries on 64-bit
>> > Windows/Wine and it works pretty well for most applications.
>> >
>> > __Martin
>> wow64 doesnt -exist- in wine64 unless you compile the 32bit wine
>> alongside it.
>>
>> You have to build it twice, to get two binaries "wine" and "wine64" and
>> if you build them "properly" what happens when you attempt to execute a
>> 64bit app with "wine" it's automatically relaunched with "wine64" But
>> the reverse is NOT true.
>
> OK, that's what I would call unstable.  Eventually though, I would expect a
> packaged wine64 to include wow64, just like Windows does.

That's not unstable, that's the way it needs to be done.

To clarify this confusing thread:
wine64 as standalone can run 64-bit windows apps (on a 64-bit processor of course)
wine(32) can run 32-bit windows apps
a wow64 setup means wine64 and wine(32) side by side with some
exchange mechanisms to run 32-bit apps in the same wineprefix as 64-bit ones

Linux distros handle packaging that differently:
fedora uses the i386 package as a dependency, arch builds both together

--

Best Regards, André Hentschel