Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:04:00 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        smp@csn.net, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Continquous Memory vs Virtual Memory

>From The Desk Of Tony Kimball :
> Quoth Steve Passe on Fri, 21 March:
> : [kernel memory protection violation of RISC engine programs
> :  implies need for kernel-level compiler]
>
> Are there any applications which care?  If there are none, your
> concerns are excessively zealous.

Hi Tony,

The answer is yes. We have applications which can load up into the
driver any old memory address which they want. For instance,
dtv passes to the driver the physical address of the frame buffer.
Programs like dtv do PCI to PCI data transfer or in a case of
a hacker exploit it can do PCI to kernel address space.

	Regards,
	Amancio