Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:38:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        sos@spider.deepcore.dk
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting wi(4) cards talking between -stable & -current ???

In message: <200306191851.h5JIpjU6000822@spider.deepcore.dk>
            Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk> writes:
: The wi driver in -current seem to be out of sync with ifconfig/wicontrol
: as wicontrol warns about -p (I use adhoc mode):
: warning: flag p deprecated, migrate to ifconfig mediaopt
: and ifconfig with mediaopt says its not configured ??

You need to specify both media and mediaopt.

: ifconfig from -stable:
:
: wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
:         inet 194.192.25.157 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 194.192.25.159
:         ether 00:02:2d:0d:27:8b
:         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/2Mbps <adhoc>)
:         status: associated
:         ssid "FreeBSD IBSS" 1:""
:         stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
:         channel 3 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
:         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
:
: ifconfig from -current:
: wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
:         inet 194.192.25.158 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 194.192.25.159
:         ether 00:02:2d:01:7d:e9
:         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/2Mbps <flag0,adhoc>)
:         status: associated
:         ssid ""
:         stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
:         channel 3 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
:         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

I've tried adhoc in current a while ago, but I don't think I tried the
old Demo Ad-hoc mode.

What are the firmware versions of these cards?  What kinds of adhoc
modes are support differe between firmware versions.  The ethernet
addresses suggest that about 700,000 cards were made between the two
which suggests they might not be completely identical.

I'd try the following:

4.8% ifconfig wi0 media autoselect mediaopt ibss-master ssid \
  "SosAtaDriverRocks" channel 3

5.1% ifconfig wi0 media autoselect mediaopt adhoc ssid \
  "SosAtaDriverRocks" channel 3

or

4.8% ifconfig wi0 media autoselect mediaopt adhoc ssid \
  "SosAtaDriverRocks" channel 3

5.1% ifconfig wi0 media autoselect mediaopt adhoc,flag0 ssid \
  "SosAtaDriverRocks" channel 3

I don't know the distances between the cards, but you may want to wire
down the speed by applying one of the following:
	s=autoselect=DS/2Mbps=g
	s=autoselect=DS/1Mbps=g
	s=autoselect=DS/5.5Mbps=g
	s=autoselect=DS/11Mbps=g

Finally, there have been many issues with the 5.1 wi driver with
Lucent cards, which it doesn't look like you are hitting, but I
thought I'd warn you.

I'm not sure what else to say.

Warner