Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 04:13:14 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Joshua Lee wrote:
> Actually, BSD came about because of a need for utilities and for a
> virtual memory Unix on the VAX. The license issue attraction is
> definitely one that developed later, and has little if any to do
> with why I run BSD.

That's why CSRG came about; that's not why FreeBSD came about.

> > The real question is "Why did you subscribe to the mailing list?";
>
> I joined -chat so I could follow redirected off-topic discussions and so
> I could talk with people I had something in common with; BSD. (I joined
> the other lists of course for technical content and the pleasure of
> helping out those who are even more clueless than myself. :-) )

...in other words: to join a community.  8-)

> Most people actually don't change their browser's homepage because they
> don't know the first thing about how to do that. I've had to explain to
> many users how to find a file on their hard drive, that's the level of
> over 40% of today's computer users according to a recent survey
> incidentally. Using the defaults has nothing to do with if they are
> rationalizing a taste for www.msn.com or not. Does anyone consider
> www.msn.com to be their favorite website?! (That's even a more scary
> thought to me than 40% of computer users not quite knowing what a file
> directory is.)

A better example is almost always to find out which search engine
people select when they need to search for something, and how they
get there.

There are a number of natural Schelling point online, and the real
point of my argument is that you can't really get people to go to
them through force: they end up showing up in large numbers at
certain web sites all on their own.

The idea of a "portal play" ended up with a lot of dead .COMs; not
because a portal is a dumb idea, but because a portal is a Schelling
point, and you can't dictate or sell Schelling points, you can only
gather around them after they've self-assembled.

-- Terry