Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 14:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@daedalus.cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>

I have the following simple setup:
4.3 box running as a gateway connected to a DSL modem, running ppp -nat
Win2k laptop conencted to it on the second NIC.
Laptop is 10.0.0.5, gateway is 10.0.0.1

Laptop has VP-1 SecuRemote software for authentication with a cirtain
LAN, call it xxx.com
When I try to open www.xxx.com in browser, the secureid window pops up and
asks me for authentication. I enter the secure card number and it says
that I'm successfully authenticated.
However when it procedes to lookup www.xxx.com it fails.

When I try tcpdumping all this on gateway, I get some results which seem
strange to me (but it's more or less my first time with tcpdump)
The communications between name server and laptop do not seem to have any
mentions of the www.xxx.com in them, however I get a bunch of packets of
this form:

12:24:30.139291 10.0.0.5 > pool-y-y.xxx.com:  ip-proto-94 45

I suspect that the secureid is interfering with something since as I
understand it, it is supposed to kick in when I talk to xxx.com network.
But the stupid program doesn't let me see any settings, and when I tried
to disable it, I got pretty much the same results:

14:08:12.782877 10.0.0.5.1054 > ns3.mindspring.com.domain:  1+ PTR? 187.188.69.207.in-addr.arpa. (45)
14:08:12.832639 ns3.mindspring.com.domain > 10.0.0.5.1054:  1 1/3/3 (204)
14:08:12.833946 10.0.0.5.1055 > 132.253.253.254.domain:  2+ A? www.xxx.com. (29)
14:08:14.836046 10.0.0.5.1056 > 132.253.253.254.domain:  3+ A? www.xxx.com. (29)

The strange thing is that both A? queries appear at the same time and
there is a big delay before they appear.
Immediately after this it sent a bunch of netbios packets.
I realize that it's starting to look like Windows question now, but since
there is a chance that something is getting screwed up in the nat I
decided to try here first. Besides I don't know any where to ask Windows
questions.

TIA