Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:46:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Bolte <scottb@cirque.moneng.mei.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jgreco@solaria.sol.net
Subject:   file system panic under 2.2.1

	Hi Folks,

	I'm having problems and would appreciate any insight you might
	have to share.  Last week, much to my chagrin, I found myself
	installing dos and windows on my home system.  So begins my
	tale of woe...

	I installed dos in an empty partition on my first SCSI disk
	last week. When I booted FreeBSD 2.1.6 after the install it
	panic'ed when scanning the second disk. (It's been running fine
	with the current hardware configuration for 6 months now.) I
	figured something got scrambled so I unhappily installed both
	dos and FreeBSD 2.2.1 from scratch. I didn't really know what
	unhappy meant until I saw the error again after cleaning off
	both disks.  Now I'm not sure what is wrong.

	- When I use just the first disk with FreeBSD or dos all is
	  well. Booteasy finds both systems and both boot ok.

	- When I use just the second disk for FreeBSD all is well.

	- When I boot off the first disk and have both disks listed in
	  the fstab file the system panics. Specificly, when fsck
	  starts to check the second disk, even when the file systems
	  are clean, it dies with the following errors:

		sd1s2: cannot find label (I/O error)
		panic: free: multiple frees

	  While the I/O error message is new after the re-installs, the
	  panic message is what I saw under 2.1.6 too.

	- When I boot off the first disk and then run fdisk, disklabel
	  and/or fsck by hand on the second disk all is well.

	I've a few things I plan on looking into to try to diagnose
	this problem, but they're all long shots. Does anyone have any
	advice or recommendations to share?

		Thanks,

		   Scott

--
Scott Bolte      scottb@mei.com      Marquette Medical Systems
      As anyone here will tell you: I speak for myself.