Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:25:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <philip@p6m7g8.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Gatewayt and Routing

I have a FreeBSD4.3-RELEASE computer which I need to setup as a gateway.
It needs to route packets between the computers on the Interior Network
which are another FreeBSD5.0-CURRENT machine, and a Windows2000
Proffessional.  Also, it needs to connect all the computers on the
internal network to the Internet.

So basically, 129.2.x.1 is the outside gateway for 129.2.x.y
(192.168.69.1)which is the gateway we need to configure.  The
FreeBSD5.0-CURRENT machine is 192.168.69.2, the Windows2000 computer is
192.168.69.3.  Both of the
FreeBSD Machines and the Windows computer can  talk to each other through
the internal network.  But none of them except  the gateway can get out to
the Internet.

As you can see from the rc.conf file it has to NICS in it.

I'm guessing the problem is because ep2 isn't forwarding outbound traffic
to ep0.  BUT, I though thats what the gateway_enable="YES" does.

I have looked on the mailing list archives for about a day and didn't find
much to answer my question.  I also looked in the handbook, but that
didn't help because it basically only talks about routing tables and not
how to actually setup the ones we need.  I have also read the man pages
for ifconfig, and netstat.

----[CUT]----
inetd_enable="YES"

ifconfig_ep0="inet 129.2.x.y  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_ep2="inet 192.168.69.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"

defaultrouter="129.2.x.1"
hostname="hostname.com"

router_flags="-s"
router="routed"