Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:00:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Corey Snow <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw, nat and routing

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Corey Snow wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I'm currently trying to set up a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE box as both a
> router and a NAT system. Basically, it has two NICs, and sits between
> my DMZ and my private LAN. The DMZ is connected to the Internet via a
> FreeBSD-based filtering bridge, which works fine.
>
> The DMZ is where I keep my routable IPs, for things like my webserver
> and mail system. On the backside of my NAT firewall, I use RFC1918
> addresses. The outer interface of the NAT firewall has a routable
> address, obviously.
>
> I can get all this to work just fine. However, there's one more thing
> I'd like to add to this- the ability for the NAT firewall to also do
> simple routing between interfaces for my RFC1918 addresess. See, on
> my DMZ, in addition to my external IP addresses, I have used some
> RFC1918 addresses for various purposes, mostly for local
> administration. These RFC 1918 IPs are all in a single Class C. On
> the inside of the NAT firewall, I have another collection of RFC 1918
> addresses, also in their own Class C.
>
> The internal interface of the NAT firewall has an address that is
> within that Class C, as does every other host on the network. The
> external interface of the NAT firewall has both a public IP and a
> private one. The private one is set as an alias.
>
> I'd like my firewall to route packets from my internal private Class C
> to my DMZ one, or if packets are destined for the Internet, to perform
> NAT and pump them out on the public IP.
>
> I can get this working one way, or the other, but not both at once.
> I'm still experimenting, but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
> a bunch.

	Could you send a small network map...I'm having difficulty
	understanding what you are doing or trying to do.  Also send the
	output of:

		# netstat -rn
		# ifconfig -a
		# ipfw -a l
		# cat /etc/rc.conf

	And please... only send to freebsd-questions.  freebsd-ipfw is not
	intended for questions like this.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets