Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 21:45:13 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to 'make release' using anonCVS?

> -R option doesn't work. I changed Makefile(add -R), and run it
> again.

Oh well.  It was just an idea. :-(

> Is it a real bug of anoncvs?

I think it probably is.  The val-tags file contains a list of tags
(like "RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE") which are known to exist somewhere
in the repository.  If you specify a tag to a cvs operation, cvs
checks the val-tags file to see if the tag you gave is really a valid
one.  If it is listed in the file, then it is valid.  If it is not
listed, then cvs actually starts searching for it in the files in the
repository.  If it finds it there, then it enters the tag into the
val-tags file, to avoid the search the next time the tag is used.
Clearly, the anoncvs server does not have the necessary permissions
to do that.  I think it is probably a bug.  Either that, or the
permissions of the val-tags file are wrong on the anoncvs machine.  I
don't have a way to check that.  Don't tell Jordan, or he'll give me a
login on the machine and expect me to fix it. :-)

John