Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:22:35 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, az@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg install -fRx perl failed

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 10:15:00AM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> Following 20121104 entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING:
>=20
> # pkg install -fRx perl
> Updating repository catalogue
> pkg: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/pkgng/repo.txz: File unavailable (e.g., fi=
le not found, no access)
> #=20
>=20
> What's that about?
>=20
> Anton

Where did you get this url for the packagesite of pkgng?

It won't work, the UPDATING entry concerning pkgng is only for people being=
 in
binary only mode. Which doesn't seems to be your case. It also concerns peo=
ple
building there own repository using poudriere/tinderbox

Don't know what you are using, but you should imho run portmaster or portup=
grade
to rebuild everything that depends on perl (sorry I don't remember the exact
syntax).

That said perl-after-update to be anyway be worked on so that it supports
natively pkgng, but given perl-after-upgrade is a hack (ugly in my views :))
don't know how complicated or easy it is to port it.

regards,
Bapt

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn--