Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:22:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        peter@netplex.com.au, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRIX 6.5.4 NFS v3 TCP client + FreeBSD server = bewm

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Matthew Dillon
had to walk into mine and say:

>     I think dirlen is supposed to be a calculation of the size of the
>     struct dirent that the client will eventually synthesize from all
>     of this, in order to ensure that the result synthesized by the client
>     does not cross a 512 byte boundry.  But if it is, it is being *very*
>     conservative.
>
>     I think this may simply be because different clients have different
>     structural sizes for struct dirent.  I am guess that the
>     (6 * NFSX_UNSIGNED) is basically a NFS constant.

Okay. I committed the fix to the length calculation to -current and
-stable (I just love one-line patches that stop panics). I just got
done patching my NFS server machines and they all seem to get along
nicely with the SGI now. Now I can upgrade the other SGIs without
worrying about them clobbering my FreeBSD machines.

Hm. I wonder what would happen if the FreeBSD host was the client
and the SGI was the server.

-Bill