Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:19:40 -0400
From:      Michael Johnson <ahze@ahze.net>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   multimedia/gstreamer-plugins request

Hi,

   Gstreamer-plugins seems to keep getting bigger and bigger and more
and more
ports depend upon gstreamer-plugins. The problem with gstreamer-plugins
is that it
supports so much and is not built with many optional dependancies by
default.
A good example of a big problem is audio/rhythmbox, if you decide to
build it with
gstreamer-plugins and don't have mad and/or vorbis support in
gstreamer-plugins you have to rebuild
and reinstall gstreamer-plugins.

My idea is splitting gstreamer-plugins in to smaller master/slave
ports, similar to what has happened
to all the php ports did last month. We have
USE_GNOME=gstreamer-plugins right now which works
but it is too broad and won't let you tell gstreamer "hey i need the
XXX plugin for this program to work!"
We need something that we can say we need XXX to run this. For exaple
USE_MULTIMEDIA=gstreamer-faad
would use the faad gstreamer plugin.

In the long-term I think it would be smart to make USE_MULTIMEDIA (or
what ever we call it) support
more than just gstreamer-plugins because other multimedia ports such as
audio/speex have about
15~ ports than depend on it so we could also do USE_MULTIMEDIA=speex,
this would save time and
effort in upgrading many ports. Or better yet, USE_MULTIMEDIA=xmms ....

I am more than willing to help out or do all the work on splitting
gstreamer-plugins
in to master/slave ports. I also thought that since ports is in a
freeze right now would be a good time to work on it
if you agree with my ideas =)

Cheers,
Michael