Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:31:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Gua Chung Lim <gua.chunglim@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 8.2R can't startx

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Gua Chung Lim wrote:

> I tried mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf and ~/.xinitrc to something else.
> For future use, I don't remove them.
> Then issue startx, I see one login and two xterms (3 GUI panes)

Without a .xinitrc, the system one (/usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc) is
used.  That starts twm as you describe.  So it's good news--xorg is
working.

> But after I brought back ~/.xinitrc (without /etc/X11/xorg.conf) to start KDE.
> The problem persists, only a small square box moving on black GUI screen.

Which probably indicates a problem with the way KDE is being started, or
there may be a problem with a KDE component.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html#X11-WM-KDE