Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:25:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions Mailgroup)
Subject:   SCSI installation: help still needed

  After hours of checking things out last night we found that the
  errors from dmesg were due to a loose connection to the floppy
  drive.  Bad//cheap cable.  For now, with spit and a prayer the
  cable is mmaking a solid contact.  And my new IBM-3720 is
  alive and well.

  I'm able to write to ds1 with dd, the LED blinks, and so on.
  Using the Adaptec firmware, we confirmed that the drive is
  all right; and using disklabel I created this /tmp file:

  # /dev/rsd1:
  type: unknown
  disk:
  label:
  flags:
  bytes/sector: 512
  sectors/track: 91
  tracks/cylinder: 4
  sectors/cylinder: 364
  cylinders: 3875
  sectors/unit: 1423360
  rpm: 0
  interleave: 0
  trackskew: 0
  cylinderskew: 0
  headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
  track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
  drivedata: 0

  3 partitions:
  #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
    c:  1423360        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 3910*)

   This from Doug White's notes,

        # This won't work if you're using /bin/csh:
        d=sd1
        dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/r$d count=2
        TMP=/tmp/label$$
        disklabel /dev/r$d > $TMP
        # Edit disklabel to add partitions:
        vi $TMP
        disklabel -B -R -r $d $TMP
        # newfs partitions appropriately

  What I need help with now is  how-to use newfs to create a /home
  filesystem and a /usr/local fs.   I'd like to allocate 100MB for
  /home and the rest for /usr/local.  Can anyone clue me in on
  this?

  Thanks in advance!

  gary kline