Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:34:47 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Rajeev Agrawala <rajeeva@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Poweredge 2400 Perc 2/Si controller

> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:24:34 -0500
> From: Rajeev Agrawala <rajeeva@research.bell-labs.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I am a newbie at freebsd. I am trying to install 4.2-RELEASE on a DELL
> poweredge 2400 System. It has a raid Perc 2/Si. I have 2 disks on that
> raid, which I have configured in Raid 1 configuration. I can see the
> disk if I run DOS. When I start freebsd installation, freebsd does not
> see any disk in the system.

Nope, it sure won't. (I'm in the same boat.)

The problem is that the support for the PERC 2/Si was added after
4.2-Release came out. It will be in 4.3-Release which should be
available in a week or two.

Until 4.3-Release, the only ways you will get it running are:

Install a temporary disk on the built-in Adaptec 7899 controller and
install 4.2 there. Then cvsup to 4.3-Beta and install that on the Perc
disk(s). Don't let the BETA label scare you. It really just means that
there is a new release soon and the code is frozen except for fixes to
problems reported. If you wait a day or two, you will probably get
4.3-RC (Release Candidate). That is just a step closer to the release.

Pull down the 4.3-beta iso image and burn that into a CD. (N.B. ISOs
prior to release are not complete. Some things will need to be
down-loaded. I have not tried this quite yet, but I will be doing so
next Tuesday (3/20), so I will know for sure if this works by 3/21.

If you are just new to FreeBSD but not to UNIX, the first would
probably be the best choice. IF you are new to UNIX, you should
probably give it a try, but you may not get far until you can get a
4.3-Release disk.

Good luck.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)