Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2012 17:43:04 +0200
From:      Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't remove zil / separate log device from root pool

Hello,

Some time ago I added a separate log device to my root pool (with the
"bootfs" unset hack) but now I can't remove it from my pool :

# uname -a
FreeBSD zozo.afpicl.lan 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #0 r241027:
Fri Sep 28 14:43:13 CEST 2012
root@zozo.afpicl.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CORE  amd64
root@zozo:/root# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on software that does not
support feature
        flags.
  scan: resilvered 7,27M in 0h0m with 0 errors on Mon Sep 17 12:43:16 2012
config:

        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank           ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          gpt/zil      ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
root@zozo:/root# time zpool remove tank gpt/zil && echo "ok !"
0.000u 0.008s 0:02.61 0.0%      0+0k 0+1io 0pf+0w
ok !
root@zozo:/root# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on software that does not
support feature
        flags.
  scan: resilvered 7,27M in 0h0m with 0 errors on Mon Sep 17 12:43:16 2012
config:

        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank           ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/disk0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          gpt/zil      ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I tried unsetting bootfs before removing the log device. Not better.
I tried importing my pool with a 9.1-RC1 liveCD, removing the log
device. The same thing happens.
I tried by physically detaching the log device from my computer. The
system can't mount root. With the 9.1-RC1 liveCD, I can import the
pool with "-m" but then I still can't remove the log device from the
pool.

Any idea on what I could do ?

Thanks

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."