Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:03:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: htags fails.

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Niall Smart wrote:

> On Apr 14,  1:59am, Terry Lambert wrote:
> } Subject: Re: htags fails.
> >
> > The scripts need to be changed, preferrably by the perl maintainers,
> > the better to teach them to either avoid syntax changes and/or think
> > about the problems the language needs to solve before implementing
> > syntax which will later need to be changed because it wasn't Von Neumann
> > complete.
>
> Von Neumann complete?  Thats a new one to me, do you mean they couldn't
> write a Turing machine in it? ;)

I had a similar response -- attached is my response and Terry's answer :).
------------
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The scripts need to be changed, preferrably by the perl maintainers,
> the better to teach them to either avoid syntax changes and/or think
> about the problems the language needs to solve before implementing
> syntax which will later need to be changed because it wasn't Von Neumann
> complete.

Terry,

I was under the impression that it was Von Neumann complete, just not
comfortably so.  One notes that by using a large array + integer
mathmetics and a state machine, one can do whatever one wants (emulate a
Turing machine, encapsulate arithmetic, implement lambda-calculus, make a
JVM, emulate an i586, etc). This is just not a lot of fun, and really not
very practical. :)  Having easy to manage memory allocation + references
or pointers is a lot more fun, and far more practical.

  Robert N Watson

------------
> > The scripts need to be changed, preferrably by the perl maintainers,
> > the better to teach them to either avoid syntax changes and/or think
> > about the problems the language needs to solve before implementing
> > syntax which will later need to be changed because it wasn't Von
Neumann
> > complete.
>
> I was under the impression that it was Von Neumann complete, just not
> comfortably so.

I hereby ammend my statement to include the word "comfrtably".  8-).

                                        Terry Lambert
                                        terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.