Date:      Sat, 20 May 1995 21:06:00 GMT
From:      Dark Realms <quint@xiii.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   A background process question

  Hi..

  I'm trying to run a MUD on FreeBSD 2.0 ...

  I have a problem with running a background process in a
  shell script or by using system() in a little autoprogram,
  so the MUD can reboot after a crash or reboot..

  the two ways are :

  bin/drserver 6666 >& syslog

  or :

  system("bin/drserver 6666 >& syslog");

  Both gives the error : Syntax error: Bad fd number.

  Then I tryed using freopen() inside the MUD to direct stderr and
  stdout to the syslog file. Problem here that all output to the file
  was first written when I closed the two streams again [with fclose()]
  .. And since 1) we like to look in the syslog file sometimes and
  2) the MUD can run so long that I would expect it would take up to much
  memory/stack or whatever it use before written to file...

  So my question is if its possible somehow to make a >& in a shell
  script or through system() ??

  Thanks for listen..

  Erik Niese-Petersen.

  Email: quint@matrix.xiii.com