Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:11:38 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   latest kernel issue ... or increased KVA_FILES ... ?

G'day ...

   I added 'options KVA_FILES=512' to my kernel config last night, and
rebooted with the new settings, and fear I may have either error'd with
it, or just am getting hit by a bug in the latest code ...

  First "stupid question", if I increase KVA_FILES, does that cause any
changes to 'world' that requires me to do an installworld right away for
thigns to work?  I upgraded the source from Feb 1st -> Feb 13th, so I only
did an installkernel, rebooted, and was going to do the installworld
after, except that after reboot, two daemons that use threads wouldn't
run, giving errors to /var/log/messages of:

Feb 13 23:55:35 venus /kernel: pid 901 (nsd8x), uid 65534: exited on signal 6

  And to errorlogfiles of:

nsthread(65845) error: pthread_create failed in NsThreadCreate: Resource temporarily unavailable
Abort trap

  Similar was happening to the mysqld daemon ...

  rebooting back to the previous kernel, where i hadn't set KVA_FILES,
fixes the problem, but since I did a source upgrade at the same time, I'm
not sure which end to be looking at ...

  Help?

Thanks ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org