Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:20:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/26042: dev_t size mismatch for DEC Alpha CPUs - kernel / userland

The following reply was made to PR alpha/26042; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To: leclercn@videotron.ca
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:16:00 -0800

 On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 08:49:26PM -0800, leclercn@videotron.ca wrote:
 > #ifdef __alpha__
 > 	typedef	u_int64_t	dev_t;	/* device number */
 > #else
 > 	typedef	u_int32_t 	dev_t;	/* device number */
 > #endif

 This change is wrong.  Note in sys/sys/types.h that the kernel and
 userland definitions are in sync -- compair udev_t in kernel land
 and dev_t in userland.

 However, we have dev_t defined in places it shouldn't be, such as
 svr4_types.h and sys/coda/coda.h.  Both of these define it as u_long
 which will give a size mismatch on the Alpha.