Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:49:40 +0200
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
To:        Chester Lew Chean Wei <cwlew@mmu.edu.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [FBSD-Q] FreeBSD

On 28-09-2001 14:32 (+0000), Chester Lew Chean Wei wrote:
> 	Moring to you, I have some problem over FreeBSD, hope you can
> help. The problem are I have linux RedHat 6.2 install to my PC as
> a OS, my UNIVERSITY (Multi-Media University Malaysia) wants to
> install FreeBSD 4.2 and have the PC as Dual-boot, I follow the
> installation guide on www.freeBSD.org, first I use Partition
> Magic to free up some space from my Linux, so it was called
> "Unused". After that i try to install FreeBSD with a "standard
> Installation", but when i come to chose or slide the disk space,
> the free space cannot been see or detect, so i was not able to
> install FreeBSD.

Is this space you freed located inside an extended partition? If so,
that won't work. FreeBSD can only be installed in a primary partition.
(I'm talking about MS partitions, which in FreeBSD are called slices.)

> 1) Can i have Red Hat Linux 6.2 as my first OS and install
> FreeBSD and make it "dual-boot" enable?

Should not be a problem.

> 2) Can i run a network installation?

Absolutely. There are several ways to install FreeBSD, among others from
CD-ROM, FTP, floppy, FAT disk, NFS, etc. (Windows file sharing would be
tricky though.)

with kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--
/ \                  r.j.s@gmx.net                  //  \