Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:33:11 -0400
From:      Josh Elsasser <jre@vineyard.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HostAP on a DWL-520 prism2 PCI card

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:07:24PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Firmware 1.3.4 is ok, but 1.4.9 supposedly works better.

Where might I get newer firmware for this card?  I didn't see any for
this specific model on dlink's website, and I wasn't sure if firmware
from elsewhere would hose my card.

> It helps to give the full and actual command that you are using.  What
> you describe here just won't work.  You gotta setup a channel and ssid
> as well.  I'm using the same version as you with the following script
> to bring up the hostap:
>
> ifconfig wi0 ssid ImpTest channel 7 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap debug up
> sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
> sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg='wi0 ed0'

Ah, thank you very much.  I was using the default ssid of 'FreeBSD
IBSS' for testing, which apparently doesn't work.  Sorry for being
unclear about what exactly I was doing, I'll be sure to give full
commands next time I'm asking RTFM questions =)

> Have I MFC'd the wi manual yet?

You sure did.  I feel pretty foolish for struggling with this for the
past couple of days when a simple `man wi` would have given me the
answer.

I do still have one odd problem: I'm getting this message a lot on my
console: "XXX: host encrypt not implemented for 802.3".  The error
message does not seem to coincide with network traffic.  This is how
I'm setting up the hostap now:

kldload if_wi
kldload bridge
sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 fxp0"
sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
ifconfig wi0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid foo stationname bar wepkey 0x01234567890123456789012345 wepmode on powersave channel 10 mediaopt hostap

Thanks again,

 -jre