Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Charles Pelletier <fozekizer@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cron emails

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Charles Pelletier wrote:
> How do I go about setting up a cron job to email security logs (weekly)? and
> is there a way to set IPF to email attack notifications?
> Charles Pelletier
> Tech. Coordinator
> St Luke's School

First of all, familiarize yourself with the format of /etc/crontab
(system-wide) or the user's own file, /var/cron/tabs/<username_here>

`man cron` and `man crontab` are really pretty well written!

The format for cron is basically "X minutes after hour X on the X'th day of
month X -OR- each X day-of-the-week RUN the rest of this command line"

For example:
0 24 * * 6 /usr/bin/mail -s security_weekly fozekizer@attbi.com < /var/log/security

This command would email you the file /var/log/security with the subject
"security_weekly" every Saturday morning at midnight (or think of it as
close of day Friday night).  I'm not sure, but maybe it is 0 not 24.

For your IPF question, you could set something similar in /etc/syslog.conf
I bet.  Someone on the list may have better knowledge about IPF...

Hope this helps!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder