Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:20:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        robert@mhi-tx.com (Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding static routes

In a previous message, Robert said:
> I need to add 4 routes to various networks, I can do this with the route
> add command but I wanted to use the "static routes = "" " entry in the
> rc.conf and I am not sure exactly what to put in there....
> it says a list of routes but how do I list them??
> separate by commas ?? put colon between dest+gateway?? have not been
> able to find an example...
> thanks in advance for answering such a newbie question...

Give the routes a name, then put those in rc.conf or rc.conf.local

static_routes="lab admin etc"                # Set to static route list (or leave empty).

route_lab="172.28.64.1"
route_admin="172.28.64.2"
route_etc="172.28.64.3"

To figure this out for yourself, you could have looked in /etc/rc* files
for references to static_routes and then read what it does. You'd find
it in rc.network:

    # Set up any static routes.  This should be done before router discovery.
    if [ "x${static_routes}" != "x" ]; then
	for i in ${static_routes}; do
	    eval route_args=\$route_${i}
	    route add ${route_args}
	done
    fi

--
HOW DO PEOPLE IN LOVE TYPICALLY BEHAVE?

"All of a sudden, the people get movie fever so they can sit together
 in the dark."            --Sherm, age 8