Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 18:02:05 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: To all the ctm'mers...

In message <199503290236.MAA29753@orion.devetir.qld.gov.au> you write:
>So, translating, someone like yourself could use an entry in /etc/aliases:
>
>    ctm-cvs-cur: "| /foo/bar/ctm_incoming"
>
>and have /foo/bar/ctm_incoming contain something like:
>
>    #! /bin/sh
>    PATH="your favourite path"
>    export PATH
>    cd /place/for/goodies || exit 1

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Do people actually *like* seeing
"Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1"?

For this particular case, I would suggest "exit 72", "Critical OS file
missing",
or perhaps "exit 69", "Service Unavailable".  (/usr/include/sys/sysexits.h)

(the majordomo wrapper used to just exit(1), exit(2),... for impossible
conditions.  Impossible conditions happen all the time, everywhere around the
world...)

  Bill