Date:      Sat, 12 May 2012 19:18:48 +0800
From:      Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport@gmail.com>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best practice for shared volume with iscsi Dell MD3200i ?

2012/5/12 Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>

> On Fri, 11 May 2012 17:51:53 +0200, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>  On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:16:43AM +0200, Karl Oulmi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to run two freebsd9 boxes with a 3.7 TO shared iscsi volume
>>> on a MD3200i.
>>>
>>> The goal is to run a "master" and a "slave" dovecot IMAP server with a
>>> shared /home.
>>>
>>> I created the shared partition like this :
>>> gpart create -s gpt /dev/da0
>>> gpart add -t freebsd-ufs /dev/da0
>>> newfs /dev/da0p1
>>>
>>> Everything is working great on the "master" server, but when I'm trying
>>> to mount the volume from the "slave" one, I have the following error :
>>> mount: /dev/da0p1 : Operation not permitted
>>>
>>> The only way I have to successfully mount the share on the "slave"
>>> server is to run a fsck -t ufs /dev/da0p1 and then do the mount.
>>>
>>> Could anyone tell me what's wrong ?
>>>

>> UFS is not a cluster-aware filesystem.  You cannot mount it in
>> multiple places at the same time.  The best you can hope for in
>> that situation, short of developing a cluster-aware filesystem, is
>> to only mount the volume on the slave if the master fails.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gary

Just some questions!
Both machines share access to the same DISKS? I mean, both machines can see
all disks?
If yes, you could use DEVD to detect some kind of fail like CARP or
something else and than, do some action like mount the disks on slave and
so on.

Currently I have this solution and works pretty well.

Best Regards,
--
Marcelo Araujo
araujo@FreeBSD.org