Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 06:10:33 -0500
From:      "Dragon Fire" <dragonfire820@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCI device drivers

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C16752.E91792E0

I'm writing a very simple PCI device driver that, basically, needs to =
allocate PCI resources, provide 2 ioctls, then deallocate PCI resources =
on shutdown.=20

The documentation on writing FreeBSD device drivers is sketchy at best. =
Does anybody have any good resources? Even a pointer to a simple driver =
would be helpful, many of the drivers in the source tree are SCSI or =
RAID drivers which are far more complicated than what I need. I've begun =
ripping these apart but if there are more resources available I'd like =
to get my hands on them.

Also, I've begun to piece the driver together, but the most notable =
piece of missing information is how to have the driver loaded. There =
used to be a series of files to edit to add your source into the kernel =
build and add your device into the kernel config file. I'm missing the =
equivalent pieces of information for a loadable driver.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C16752.E91792E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm writing a very simple PCI device =
driver that,=20
basically, needs to allocate PCI resources, provide 2 ioctls, then =
deallocate=20
PCI resources on shutdown. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The documentation on writing FreeBSD =
device drivers=20
is sketchy at best. Does anybody have any good&nbsp;resources? Even a =
pointer to=20
a simple driver would be helpful, many of the drivers in the source tree =
are=20
SCSI or RAID drivers which are far more complicated than what I need. =
I've begun=20
ripping these apart but if there are more resources available I'd like =
to get my=20
hands on them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, I've begun to piece the driver =
together, but=20
the most notable piece of missing information is how to have the driver =
loaded.=20
There used to be a series of files to edit to add your source into the =
kernel=20
build and add your device into the kernel config file. I'm missing the=20
equivalent pieces of information for a loadable driver.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Paul</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C16752.E91792E0--