Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:39:57 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD won't boot any more. HELP!

I seem to have seriously shot myself in the foot.

My FreeBSD stable laptop (stable as of 8/1/02) was running fine. I got
annoyed at the boot-time list of un-bootable slices, so I did a:
boot0cfg -B -m 5 /dev/ad0

When I rebooted I got a list of just the first and third slices, as I
expected, but the disk would not boot FreeBSD. I hit F3 (FreeBSD is on
my slice 3) and see the disk LED flicker and get a beep. That's
it. Windows (slice 1) still boots up fine.

I tried using the fixit CD to re-install the boot block, but it made
no difference. fdisk and disklabel output look fine. The slice is
still showing the ACTIVE flag 80.

One random thought is that my boot partition is well beyond cylinder
1023. I know that this limit has been worked around in some way, but
could I have messed it up when I re-wrote the boot block? Is there
some other magic I need.

Thanks!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)