Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:39:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        dmahoney@pe.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up XFree86 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 box

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 dan@wolf.com wrote:

> I've been running FreeBSD 2.2.6 with XFree86 on my Pentium at
> home for a few months with no problems.  I recently decided to
> load FreeBSD on a really bizarre machine I've got sitting around -
> a pseudo-laptop machine using a 486 on a PC-104 SBC.  The SBC
> uses a Chips & Technologies 65545 LCD driver connected to a
> passive color LCD.  Under WinBloze the display will run at
> 800x600 with 256 colors.

ok.

> I am running XFree86 setup from the menu under /stand/sysinstall.
> When I run "graphical setup" X does come up without a hitch, and
> look pretty decent. If I then go through the selection processes
> and select a C&T 65545 and select what I believe to be reasonable
> horizontal and vertical frequencies, I can't run startx afterwards
> (startx deletes all the ModeLines as being unreasonable). If I
> get into the config utility and don't modify anything, just select
> "Done" foloowed by "Okay" X comes up ok, asking me if I want to
> run xvidtune, save the config, or bail out.  I select "Save
> config", then run startx again.  Once more X refuses to start,
> after deleting all the modelines and bitching about not being
> able to find a modeline to match my default (640x480).

Hm.  LCDs don't have horizontal and vertical frequencies in the
conventional sense.  Your best bet is to give the maximum values for the
horizontal & vertical frequencies to pick up some modelines.  Ideally the
SVGA server should be recognizing your LCD display and offering modelines
that work.  Check the SVGA server start output and see if it's seeing your
LCD (it'll report it's type, probably DSTN for a dual-scan).