Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 06:57:01 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Gianluca Torta" <gianluca.torta@gte.net>
Cc:        "Nate Williams" <nate@mt.sri.com>, <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: R: Undefined symbol gmtime_r with jdk1.1.8

> first of all thanks for the reply Nate.
> I'm brand new to jdk, and unfortunately not yet an expert of FreeBSD too, so
> I may have misinterpreted the error. here's exactly what I get when I run,
> for example, jar:
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/lib/i386/green_threads/libjava.so: Undefined symbol
> "gmtime_r"
>
> I cleaned my LD_LIBRARY_PATH of jdk info as you suggested, but this doesn't
> change the behavior.
> moreover, I added echo statments in .java-wrapper to display the
> (script-set) CLASSPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH just before calling the binary,
> and the jdk directories have been added correctly by the script.
>
> any further suggestion would be much appreciated!

Try using the a.out version instead of the ELF version.  FreeBSD 3.0/3.1
were released in the middle of the ELF/a.out switchover, so the ELF
support wasn't quite 'up to snuff' yet.

The other choice is to try and grab libc.so from a 3.3-stable system and
install it on your box to see if that helps...

Nate