Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:01:16 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap Space

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 28 February 1999 at 12:54:38 -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > Ben Smithurst wrote:
> >>
> >> On my machine "/" is a separate filesystem, but if you've got so
> >> little space it probably won't hurt to stick them all on one
> >> filesystem.
> >>
> >> Perhaps someone can tell me why my method is a bad idea, if it is.
> >

> Ben is right: on such a tiny disk, you shouldn't have more than one
> file system.

Would a single filesystem not cause problems if the system went down
ungracefully, e.g. a sudden power cut?. I'm thinking of the situation
when the system comes up single user because it can't mount a
corrupted /usr and/or /var, requiring you to fsck them manually. In
this case would it still be able to mount / read-only, even though it
was on the same filesystem as /usr?