Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:06:09 -0700
From:      Joe Eykholt <jre@ipsilon.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, toor@dyson.iquest.net, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: regarding our rfork(2)

An aspect of sharing stacks that I didn't see mentioned is
that it's more efficient from an implementation viewpoint for
all threads to use the same virtual address space.
I don't think we should impose unnecessary requirements without
considering what would be lost in efficiency.

If threads are to be truly light-weight, and you want the ability
to run threads from the same process on different processors, then
you'll want the two processors to use the identical virtual space
for that process.  Otherwise the kernel will need to duplicate most of
the page directory in order to have some pages mapped differently
in different threads. ... that'll be almost as expensive as separate
processes.  On a single processor, it'll mean doing a VM context
switch when switching between threads on the same processor.

	Joe