Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2012 07:24:03 +1000
From:      Duncan Young <portereyecare@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs woes

Hi All,

I have a problem.

My computer has been regularly locking up, I think it could be disk
related.  This has been causing the odd
checksum error on the disks, which scrubbing seems to clean up.

Now my problem is, after starting up after one of these lockups, the
system mirror, reported an uncorrectable error.
Both drives showed checksum errors (4 errors, I think).  Using the -v
flag a file was identified as corrupt.  Upon trying
to delete this file, the system panicked.  O.K. it is on the
system/ports filesystem, so I'll just copy all but the corrupt
directory, to system/ports2 etc, etc.  Upon zfs destroy -r system/ports,
another panic.  Now the entire system pool is corrupted,
resulting in a panic upon boot.  I presume the reslivering is causing this.

I moved the two disks to my backup machine (purely used for sending
backups onto).  Its running 9.0-release #2.  When I try to do
an import, it panics.  Now this I find surprising.  Surely importing
disks should either succeed or fail, not bring the whole machine down.

Trying to import into openindiana also causes a panic and reboot (I
didn't expect this).

Any pointers as to where I go from now (other than reinstall).

Duncan