Date:      Sat, 1 May 2004 18:18:24 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Markie <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100 CardBus II

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:25:01PM +0100, Markie wrote:

> The cards I am looking at are also 32 bit (the dongle ones). I was just
> wondering if I will get any kind of major performance loss using 16 bit
> cards. I can only find a Realport1? card (just says realport) and they're
> 16 bit... and so is this FA410 card if I was to get a dongle for it
> instead.

Performance of 100Mbps Ethernet with 16-bit cards pretty much sucks.
They'll attach to a 100Mbps network just fine, but the amount of data
you'll be able to put through them will be much, much less, and probably
consume a lot of CPU cycles with it.  If you're not doing anything
network-intensive, or only connecting to 10Mbps networks, this might not
matter to you.

However, if your laptop has CardBus slots and you're running FreeBSD 5 (no
CardBus support in 4.x), you'll probably be a lot happier with a 32-bit
card.

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon