Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 20:08:15 +0300
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodm@bezeqint.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux NVIDIA drivers vs. default XFree86 drivers (WAS: RE: Video card support)

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 11:59:17PM +0800, Trent Nelson wrote:
> On a more technical note, given an accurate port of the kernel
> device driver (which would be trivial at best), is there any
> reason these Linux OpenGL drivers & associated libraries can't
> just be branded as 'Linux' object types and handled as-per-normal
> by linux.ko? After all, it's the kernel driver's responsibility to
> manage all the Operating System's specific hardware resource
> management etc.

I thought the whole point of XFree4 new driver mechanism was that
it was OS-neutral. It should be possible to run the same binary
driver on all x86 platforms running XFree4 *without* recompiling.

I don't know how this driver interacts with the kernel module,
though. I'm not sure I even understand why a kernel module is
needed in this case.

--
Nimrod.
http://www.geocities.com/rodd_27