Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:55:16 -0500
From:      Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@iedowse.com>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Yuriy Tsibizov <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>
Subject:   [FIXED] Re: Asus A8V hangs during pci probe on fresh-CURRENT

--nextPart17883039.r9O9Kpb5qQ

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 14:07, Ian Dowse wrote:
> In message <200610302227.52575.nb_root@videotron.ca>, Nicolas Blais write=
s:
> >I saw that pci.c was updated today (to version 1.318) and I decided to
> > give it a try. As expected, it did not work, so I kept my /usr/src in
> > sync, but reverted pci.c to 1.292.2.9 and my system booted fine!
> >
> >By diff'ing with 1.315
> >(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/pci.c.diff?f=3DH&=
r1=3Dt
> >ext&tr1=3D1.292.2.9&r2=3Dtext&tr2=3D1.315) we can find there's obviously
> > something in the vpd code that my system doesn't like, or that the vpd
> > code doesn't like something about my system ;).
>
> FYI, jmg@ sent me the following patch that fixed a similar issue.
> The thing in common between systems seeing this hang appears to be
> that they have a Brooktree card installed. Seemingly, some Brooktree
> cards have a PCI capability claiming VPD support, but the VPD data
> is missing, which confuses the parser. One of the pci_read_vpd_reg()
> calls then gets stuck when it tries to read from an invalid address.
>
> Ian
<snip patch>

Thanks! That fixed the problem! Though seeing a 'continue' before a 'break'=
 hurts my eyes, I'm happy it works :)

I've updated the patch for today's current which has pci.c version 1.318. I=
t is available here:

http://24.202.77.103:8081/FreeBSD/update/pci.c.diff

Hopefully either this is commited or a real fix will be commited soon.
Nicolas.
=2D-=20
=46reeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #9: Tue Oct 31 15:44:23 EST 2006     nicblais@clk01a:=
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A=20